Friday, December 30, 2016

Starting a blog - Because, why not!?

This past April over dinner with my mom, my sister, and my aunt, we all sat and laughed about beginning our own little start up company!  We had all recently gotten into using essential oils and were in love with how well they we were working for us.  I had the knowledge and have done hours of research on how to use them safely, my sister had the marketing background to help promote, my mom had the time to help type labels, and my aunt would spread the word!  We laughed for hours on names for our roller ball blends and we even did a promotional video!  (Which will not be published anywhere, even though it was quiet hilarious.  We were all in our pajamas, and we could barely understand it because we were all laughing so hard!)  My mom also said she would love to hand stitch and create pillows to sell and I had recently gotten into re-vamping old furniture and giving it new life.  My first project was two small tables that my dad and I finished over the Thanksgiving holiday in 2014.  It was such a neat, new venture!  I painted several pieces that I was quiet pleased with when we moved into our new home as well, and it was just too fun!

Here we are "blending" our essential oil concoctions during girls weekend, April 2016

We came up with a whole plan and laughed and said how much my dad would be right in the middle of it all with us.  Because he always needed something to do since he had just retired.  Little did we know that the very next day would be one of the darkest days we will ever experience.  On our way home from our fun, antique shopping, full of laughter girls weekend, we could not get in touch with my dad, who was ALWAYS in our business while we were away.  (He was jealous he was not a girl and couldn't go with us!)  We found out a very short time later, as we were all driving up I-75 north to go home, that my father had passed away suddenly.  I will never ever forget every single moment of that day...from what I was wearing, to what movie was playing for my boys in the van on the way up, to how nasty my sunglasses got from how much I cried standing in a gas station parking lot (and then not cleaning them off for weeks), to where we ended up that evening playing on a school playground nearby...all of us as a family...because we could not go to my parent's house at that time.
That entire week was almost more than I could bare, but somehow, with the love and prayers of our friends and family nearby us constantly, we all made it through.
Pure joy on those little faces during what was supposed to be Noah's spring break "full of fun" week.

As time has gone on we are all in a better place and still laugh about that night of "blending" at the kitchen table at my parent's condo.  We have decided to finally move forward and get our little company going!  Essential oil blends (because I just love them so and feel they can help SO many people) repainting and refinishing old furniture (because it's just so fun to me), and hand stitched pillows (Meemaw, start sewing and get your type writer ready for labels!)   

So, starting a blog, why not!?  I wanted a place to post photos of my "re-envisioned" furniture pieces, ideas on my growing essential oil collection and the best uses for them all, and our little bits of family fun, just because, well, they are my heart and soul and I just love watching those sweet boys grow and love the life they are living.  Plus, it may just help me keep up with all that I have going on around me as well :)  




2 comments: