Monday, January 9, 2017

New Year, Newest Projects


When my mom bought her new house, she was like me in that she didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars on furniture.  We shopped online yard sale pages, the Salvation Army, and the Habitat ReStore for some really great finds!  

One of my favorite finds was this huge table we found at the Rossville, GA library sale in October.  It looked like it was used for a kids activity table at the library and it had a $25 sign on it.  It was ugly and old, but a well made, solid piece.  I asked my mom if she needed a coffee table, and she looked at it, not excited at all, and said "Um, no, not that one at least."  I laughed and told her I would get it, redo it and she would love it!  Then I ended up paying $10 for it.  Steal!


My mom found a dresser at the Country Living Fair and she loved the color on it - Amy Howard's Java with a black milk paint over top, then finished in a dark wax.  I didn't have access Amy Howard's paint at the time, so I researched a little more and found WAL-MART (YES!) carried a new line of chalk paint from Waverly.  I was shocked at the cost of a container -$5.44.  So, I picked up a container in Hazelnut.  

After 2 coats of Hazelnut chalk paint. 
 I actually was super impressed with the Waverly chalk paint.  I loved how smoothly and evenly it went on, (In my opinion, easier to work with than Amy Howard's) but after two coats, it needed to be darker to get close to the color of that dresser.  I went over it in a General Finishes Glaze Effects in Pitch Black (These finishes are SO neat and give a really nice looking, antique finish)  I felt like it would come close to looking like the dresser.  After the first coat of the Glaze Effects, I was on the right track!  Finished it in the dark wax, satin top coat and done!



Below is the finished table!  I was thrilled with the way it came out.  Almost an exact look as the dresser she loved.  It goes perfect in her living room and ties in so well with the other colors.

Come to find out, she did need a coffee table as there have already been many games of checkers played at it, and many more to come I'm sure!
Finished table in Waverly Chalk Paint in Hazelnut with General Finishes pitch black glaze and finished with a dark antique wax.  I also added a General Finishes poly-acrylic satin top coat as well to protect it.

An up close look.  I love how the Glaze Effects and dark wax really added to the overall look.

Next, she needed dressers for the bedrooms.   I came upon one on the online yard sale pages, that needed some TLC, but again was a solid piece of furniture made of real wood, no fake wood at all.
$20 - yes I'll take it.


Finished this lovely piece in just one afternoon using Amy Howard's chalk paint again.

Painted in Amy Howard's One Step paint in Atelier Grey.  Added Pitch Black Glaze Effects for a neat finish and added the satin poly-acrylic top coat as well.  Gotta love that top coat!

This one turned out so nice and I love how the Glaze Effects looked against the grey paint!

Next, my absolute favorite, is this $40 find.


A good friend of mine had just painted her first piece of furniture with General Finishes Coastal Blue (which turned out beautiful for her!) and she had almost an entire container left over that she passed along to me.

Dresser painted in 2 coats of General Finishes Coastal Blue and sealed with the satin poly-acrylic top coat.
This one turned out beautiful!  I used the original hardware and the gold just looked awesome against the blue.  So excited to get this into her upstairs guest bedroom!  (We are working on some other pieces for that room.  Can't wait to get pictures!)

Next was a kitchen table and chairs for my sister's new apartment in Panama City.  A friend was selling her table and chairs, so we picked them up and my sister started looking at ideas on what to refinish it in.  She came upon a beautiful look of a dark brown stained top with white table legs.



I found General Finishes (can you tell how much I love them!?) makes a really great Gel Stain in several colors.  It works like a stain (must use gloves) but goes on just like a paint.  No sanding or striping needed.  Hooray for another great paint find!

I went to work and here is her finished table!

Top was stained with 3 coats of General Finishes Antique Walnut Gel Stain and legs are painted white with Burnt Umber Glaze Effects.

And the repainted chairs, which she plans to recover the seats once she gets it all to Florida.

Painted in white with Burnt Umber Glaze Effects.


They pair so perfectly with the table!  I absolutely love working with the glaze effects.  Gives the piece a very nice, antique finish.

And lastly...

I have to brag on my mom.  She dropped off some items at the Salvation Army the other day, and then sent my sister and I a picture of what she also picked up while she was there:


"Guess how much for all" she said!  We guessed, but we were way off.  She said "Come on, you know you've taught me better than that and to look for a good deal!"

$15 - for all 3 pieces!  Impressed!  And she already has places for all 3 to go in her new house.  Way to go, Mom!  Yes, I have taught you well 😄

2 comments:

  1. Love it, Amanda. You such pretty work! I can't wait to get my table and chairs down here to FL. I will post pictures of what fabric I end up using. :) Can't thank you enough!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. But of course! I can't wait to see it all finished!

      Delete