Tuesday, January 3, 2017

On To Furniture!

This is SO fun! 

As I searched for new ideas for our new home in the Fall of 2014 the more I realized, people were really getting into this "rustic" look and were refinishing old furniture instead of spending hundreds of dollars on brand new furniture.  Then you have a beautiful finished product that is something you can be proud of!
The very first chalk paint I started using was Annie Sloan's.  After a brief tutorial from the owner of a little shop in downtown Chickamauga, my dad bought the paint in Old White, the clear and dark waxes, and 2 of the "fancy" brushes and we got to work!  My parents had an old coffee table that was built by ?? that they had had for years.  It had been through a lot as well as a lot of baby teeth as I had practiced my chewing on the edges of it as I was learning to pull up as a baby.  It was old and needed new life my mom thought.  I wish now I had a 'before' picture, but after a fun afternoon spent with my dad, we had totally refinished this coffee table!  My mom was very excited with the finished piece!

Coffee Table in Annie Sloan's Old White finished with clear and dark waxes

From then on, I was hooked!  Re-painting seemed like an easy, non-stressful little hobby to pick up and was way less expensive than buying new furniture for our new home!  The greatest thing about the chalk paint too is there is NO PREP what so ever.  Just wipe off the dust and dirt from your furniture (if it's been stored somewhere) and start painting!  No stripping or sanding!  

Over the next couple of years I've spent a lot of time redoing a lot of pieces that most people would have just thrown out or given away...which is how I received so many pieces.  They were given to me because the owner didn't know what to do with them.   Exciting for me!  

One piece that I love a TON was a tall dresser given to me by my mother in law.  It sat in her basement taking up space and I was so excited to get it because I knew just what color I wanted it to be in!

Refinished in Old White and the drawers are done in Annie Sloan's Duck Egg Blue.  Then finished with clear wax.
(I've come to learn that you can use other clear waxes and top coats to protect your piece.  General Finishes brand makes some great top coats and sealers.  More on that later!) 

[  A side note:  Dressers and small side tables are the easiest pieces to start with if you're wanting to try your hand at repainting.  Easy lines, nothing too complicated!  ]

Next up I did a cute little side table to  match the tall dresser in the same colors to coordinate in our bedroom!  Another from my mother in law.  Again sitting in her basement with my name on it!

Again in Old White and Duck Egg Blue drawer
These were so fun to finish!

Also playing with Annie Sloan's Old White and dark wax, I refinished this pitiful dresser that sat in a friend's garage for a couple of years.  (I really wish now I had before photos of these)

Old White (Can you tell this paint GOES A LONG WAY) and finished in dark wax.

Although I wasn't happy with the way the dark wax came out on this...it was still a great practice piece and it goes well in our spare bedroom.  Plus it was helpful on what not to do with the dark wax next go around.  (I'm sure I'll decide to repaint this!)

I started  researching other paint options, since Annie Sloan paints are only available at select retailers.  I came upon Amy Howard's One Step paint that was being sold at select Ace Hardware's.

I refinished this old desk (another sitting in my mother in law's basement)

Amy Howard's Charm School on the exterior

Amy Howard's Atelier Grey on the inside
I was happy with the outcome of the desk, but it took A LOT of coats and more time than I was expecting...It is certainly more than just "One Step".  On to more research on other paint options.

LOVED this color!
I came upon General Finishes (my newest LOVE) which is a water based milk paint in tons of wonderful colors!  PLUS, it is SO EASY to work with.  Easier than the chalk paints I was working with.  Again, no stripping, or sanding your pieces.  Just clean them off and start painting.

Finished in General Finishes Brick Red
On a search for a nightstand for our spare bedroom and wanting something to paint with this beautiful General Finishes Brick Red color that I found, I came upon this IKEA nightstand.  (It was previously a pale shade of ugly green that had been sitting in my parents spare room collecting dust!)  Added paint and a new drawer pull, and Voila!  Brand new nightstand!

I do absolutely LOVE working with the General Finishes paint.  It is actually, in my opinion, easier to paint with than the chalk paints.  Goes on smoother and more even as well.





Here is a  very old table I finished with a dry brush technique and Annie Sloan's Old White, then dark waxed to give it a rustic, old look.  It was found in my grandmother's house, so it's really neat to have!


More to come for the New Year.  And next up I will actually have before and after photos!





No comments:

Post a Comment