Tuesday, January 17, 2017

Using Oils



I realize that when we have little ones, we can catch everything under the sun!  It seemed my husband and I were never sick until we had little ones.  Both of my boys, especially Noah constantly had ear infections, congestion, coughing, colds.  I had sinus infections that would last forever, my husband would cough for weeks on end, and then...there is the dreaded stomach bug (Something I am literally terrified of!)  That nasty thing hit us twice in two months, ICK!

When we moved into our new house in January of 2015, I was so excited about our new home, but we were constantly, I mean constantly SICK!  Of course we moved right in the middle of cold/flu/stomach bug season, but still...I think we went for 8 weeks where at least one of us was sick...with something.  I started to believe the house was making us sick - which of course my husband thought I was just a little crazy.  It was to a point where I had it tested for molds & allergens and anything else that could be making us sick.  Of course, everything came back just fine and thankfully, the house was not making us sick.

Then I dove into trying to figure out the best ways to keep my family healthy.  Cut back on sugars, cut out processed foods, started making most everything we ate homemade.  Started vitamins religiously!  Researched all natural soaps, shampoos, body washes, lotions, etc.  I was killing it in my research!  Then one of my best friends introduced me to my beloved ESSENTIAL OILS!  She said "I know they sound pretty hokey, but THEY WORK!"  She had been using them for a long time and trusted them, so I asked her "What are your top oils that you recommend to a newbie to get us through the winter cruds?"

Here is what she ordered for me:


1. Immune Strength (I originally ordered OnGuard from DoTerra but quickly went through that!) It was a blend of 5 of the major anti-bacterial, anti-viral, immune boosting oils all blended into one bottle.  No guessing which would be best to keep our immune systems in good shape!  Absolutely LOVE this oil blend and will never go without it again.  It has been a life saver.

 2. My friend said Lavender was also a must have as it has SO many uses.  Just the smell alone is so nice.  Relaxing, calming, good for sleep, skin healer, moisturizer, mood lifter...I could go on and on... (Read more below!)

3. Breathe which is a blend of oils to help open those sinuses and help you breathe better during cold/flu/congestion season.  Also, kills a cough in about 5 minutes flat...amazing!  Wonderful in diffusers as well, especially at night for little congested noses.  

4. Digestive Blend that is wonderful for upset stomachs, stomach aches, nausea (gross stomach bugs!) heart burn, or just that "ate too much" feeling.  Another oil I will never be without!

Neat thing - these oils are safe for kids if DILUTED PROPERLY and USED PROPERLY.  I followed directions very closely and didn't budge on the dilution when using them on my kiddos.
For ease of use - I made us all our own little "roller ball blends" as dilution guidelines are different for kids and adults.  Therefore, we could not share the same roller bottles.  I did not want to measure my oils and dilute them every time I needed them. This way, our roller ball blends are labeled and ready to roll on!

Tickles little feet, but they line up and wait their turn!
  Immune Strength goes on their little feet every single time they go out the door and are going to be in a big crowd - whether it be school, Sunday school, the mall, Chic-fil-A...well, yes, pretty much every time we go out the door!  I keep in a safe little container, diluted correctly for them, by the back door next to their shoes so I never forget.  My best friend in roller ball form!  I also run it in my diffuser constantly and in everyone's bedrooms at night when anyone feels the slightest bit of sickness coming on.  It helps cleanse the air and kill off any germs that might be floating about!

(Side Note - I also found this amazing, all natural hand sanitizer that I am obsessed with that is made from these exact immune boosting, germ fighting essential oils as my Immune Strength blend.  I do believe I will be making my own very soon...and it will be for sale in just a short while!)

As for my lavender, it gets used just as much as my Immune Strength blend.  I rub it on the outside of a sore, scratchy throat, and in minutes it is gone.  (Mix lavender with lemon - kills bacteria that might be causing that sore throat).  Rub it on temples, wrists, back of neck for a good nights sleep.  I run it in the diffuser at night for a good nights sleep.  Lavender mixed with tea tree oil almost vanishes acne overnight...no kidding!  I can put a dab of this blend on any kind of acne flare ups, the next morning they are barely noticeable.  (Why didn't I know about this when I was in high school!?)  This blend is also great for cuts, scrapes, bruises, skin rashes and irritations of any kind, especially for my boys.  The tea tree helps kill bacteria and keeps away infections and the lavender also helps heal the skin.  Lavender is a must have and I'm pretty sure I have about 4 new, unopened bottles waiting.

Digestive Blend - please never let me be without this!  As someone who has a sensitive stomach, this is a life saver!  Nausea eased, upset, rumble in the stomach calmed, and a stomach ache in general - gone!  I use it safely diluted on the boys too when they have a stomach ache and literally in just a few minutes them sitting to rest and having this put on their little bellies, they are up and playing again.  I also carry a small roller ball of this with me in my purse at all times in case of nausea flare ups or dizziness in the car.  My second best friend in roller ball form.   

The more and more I researched these oils and the more I began seeing them actually work, I became totally in love and dove more into researching more that were out there.

I went from 4 bottles to this:

I loved DoTerra, but I knew there were other, reputable companies out there.  I read about and studied each company before buying from them.  I have been very happy with all the brands I have tried so far

This collection doesn't count the new, unopened ones I have waiting on me when these run out.  I'm always stocked!

Again, the greatest thing - these oils are ALL NATURAL and THEY WORK!  When we started using our Immune Strength blend, our sick days started becoming less and less.  My colds were very short lived, and were no longer turning into sinus infections.  Thank you to my "Breathe" blend too! Noah's colds quickly passed and did not turn into ear infections like they always did.  Joey and I weren't getting sick EVERY time the boys were getting sick.  We were breezing right through it and coming out of it without having to go on any antibiotics or having our sinus infections last forever.

Now, I certainly won't say our sick days are completely gone.  Just these past few weeks, as soon as cold weather hit, Tate has had 2 ear infections  (He is notorious for having ear infections, just like his brother at this age, popping up out of nowhere!)  However, a blend of  my trusty essential oils, placed around his ear helps the pain until I can get him to the doctor.  He also had the most random 1-day fever and just felt exhausted all day at the beginning of December.  I lathered him up with his Immune  Blend on his feet and down his little spine (as many viruses can lay along the spine).  I also ran it in our diffuser and had everyone else throw on extra doses on their feet.  Weird virus...gone in a day and no one else in the family got sick!  Then, a similar virus hit Noah as soon as he went back to school from Christmas vacation.  Woke with a fever of about 101 that lasted all day, and he was so exhausted.  Immune blend on everyone's feet, ran in the diffuser all day, and in our rooms at night.  Fever gone the next day, he felt better, and everyone else stayed well.


Happy Kids = Happy Family!!
I was also proud that my mom and sister jumped on the essential oils train as soon as they realized how much they worked!  Mom's favorite is her lavender which helps with her severe ear aches and jaw pain that she was having frequently.  Lavender on, pain eased!  Peppermint also helps a lot with pain.  She keeps these two on hand all the time.  I know my sister has a ton of blends that she loves as well.  All in her own little roller balls.  My aunt swears on a blend for her vertigo.  A few drops behind her ear, stops her vertigo in it's tracks.  She never goes anywhere without her blend!

I will continue to post more on my oils and their uses as we get closer to the opening of our little business we have in the works.  I'm so excited to share with others how wonderful these can be!

Thanks for reading!

No comments:

Post a Comment