Thursday, February 2, 2017

Tables, Tables, Tables and REALLY EXCITING NEWS!

Lots of projects going on.  Started the month of January out with nothing but table projects!  First we started on my mom's dining table we found at an antique store.  My mom was drawn to it because of the pineapples on the back of the chairs.  Pineapples are a sign of welcoming!

The chairs certainly didn't match the table and the table was pretty scuffed on top and needed a makeover.









But the set was so reasonable and were a great fit in her new dining room!
We went to work as soon as January rolled around and my mom had a few days to spend here.


Quick Tip:  Painting outside, if you can, in the sunlight is a WONDERFUL idea.  The sunlight helps you see any spots you may miss.  


Painting with a sidekick is always nice too.  We only had to wipe a streak of paint off of Bennie once!

These chairs were really dark, so we picked a dark paint 
(General Finishes Milk Paint in Driftwood) 
that covered the dark chairs wonderfully!  Easy 2 coats and we were done!


Quick photo of where the boys were while my mom painted...I had "hot pool" duty:


When we got them inside, they were VERY dark grey and mom wanted them lighter and more rustic looking. 


General Finishes Glaze Effects in Snow White did just the trick!  Very happy with the outcome on them after applying the glaze effects.


Next we finished the bottom of the table and the legs in the Driftwood Grey with the Snow White Glaze Effects to match the chairs.  I plan to finish the top with the Antique Gel Stain in Antique Walnut.

(Pictures soon as there is a little delay with Mom being back and forth between here and home, but I know the table is going to look amazing!)

Next was my kitchen table and chairs.  We've had this set since we were married 11 years ago.  And Joey had them a few years before that.  Always wanted to change them, but always said "One day I'll get to that!"


Not a bad set, but kind of plain and pretty beat up!  Decided on the Grey Gel Stained top with white legs on the table and Coastal Blue Milk Paint for the chairs.


First coat of the gel stain.  The gel stain stays very sticky and tacky for awhile after you paint a coat.  I wait 24 hours before applying the next coat.  This table took 3 coats of the gel stain and 3 coats of the satin top coat to really protect it.

Then on to the chairs!  First, let me make a quick tip on dark paint going on to light surfaces...it may take more coats than you expect!  These chairs, took 3 coats of blue...oh, but put them in direct sunlight...they needed another coat!  Don't let ceiling lights fool you...


Put your furniture in the sunlight to finish them.  Otherwise, your piece will look like this.  The light almost bleeds through.  So, my chairs took about 4 coats of blue and 3 coats of top coat.

But all finished, it looks awesome!

General Finishes Coastal Blue chairs, grey gel stained top, and General Finishes White Milk Paint on the bottom of the table and legs.

I also decided to rough up the chairs a bit because if I didn't, I knew my boys would! 

(A quick note on the General Finishes White - I'm finding I drift more towards liking the Annie Sloan chalk paint in white over the milk paint.  For those who were asking about which paint to use, chalk or milk, if you're thinking of going with lighter colors, go with the chalk paints instead.  It took MANY coats of the white milk paint on the table legs to make them not look streaky.  I did not have that issue with the chalk paint in white)

Next was my coffee table and side chairs I picked up from an estate sale.  Loved how heavy and solid they were.  Plus, I'm just drawn to old furniture that has been well loved, but might be thrown out because they now look old and worn.


Sanded them well and tried going for an old driftwood look.


But after more thought, ended up with this.



Who knows!  Maybe I'll come up with something else before I'm completely done!  They will be for sale at our first sales event (See below!)

Onto the OH SO exciting news though!  We are getting ready to launch our new business VERY SOON!  I can't wait!  It's been fun coming up with plans and ideas.  We plan to launch our Facebook site and website hopefully by next week.

And THE REALLY exciting news is that we are going to our first event March 31 - April 1st!!!!  We are a registered vendor for Bootsie's Barn Sale (check them out on Facebook)  More information on that coming soon!  Can't wait to share that with you all as well!

No comments:

Post a Comment