Monday, February 27, 2017

First client and Barn Pickin'

As I continue my love of refinishing furniture, I just finished a kitchen table for my first client!  So exciting!  She had a huge kitchen table that she sent a picture of over to see if I could repaint the black with white.


I cringed when I saw the chairs, but she said "No, just need the bottom of the table refinished!"  (Perfect, because chairs with a lot of detail can be quiet the task.)

Repainting a really dark finish with really light finish can be a challenge in itself as well.  You have to be careful in your paint choice.

I started with General Finishes milk paint in white, but after a few minutes, I quickly changed over to the white chalk paint.  The milk paint streaked so terribly that I knew it wasn't going to work well.  I must say use a chalk paint when choosing to go with a white paint, over an pre-painted surface - choose chalk paint over the milk paint.  The chalk paint covered SO much better and was not streaky at all.  (I cannot say this about white milk paint over a brand new, unfinished surface.  It may work better on unfinished wood)  White can streak like crazy on finished wood, especially when going over a darker color.  You will drive yourself nuts over streaks if you are not careful and take your time.

Choose your brush wisely as well when painting large surfaces. A flimsy brush does not work well, except for touch ups.  Find a nice, thick bristle brush for painting white.  Less room for streaks.

(Something like this works great)



It took all of about 4 and half hours, four coats of white chalk paint and 4 coats of clear top coat!  Looked great and she was very happy with the outcome as well!  (They did buy white chairs to go with the newly painted table.  I told her that was a good move rather than trying to repaint black chairs)

Between waiting on coats to dry on the kitchen table, I worked on ideas on what to refinish my coffee table set in that I found at the estate sale a few weeks back.

Before

After

I decided to go with a driftwood kind of finish.  I went over it in a single coat of Waverly Chalk Paint in "Elephant", then dry brushed with my everlasting can of Annie Sloan Old White chalk paint, sanded, distressed and finished with a a dark, antique wax.  I will finish the side tables to match.  (They will be at the barn sale in April!)

Speaking of the barn sale, we are getting SO excited for our first show coming up March 31 & April 1!  Bootstie's Barn Sale in Athens - check them out on Facebook and Instagram.  We applied to be vendors to show our furniture and a random collection of antiques.  Since we LOVE attending shows like this (The Country Living Fair in Stone Mountain is our absolute favorite.  We actually plan our October around that one weekend)  We thought, why not apply to be a seller!?  What fun!

I picked up this great little drop-leaf table to refinish for the show.

After applying, we decided we needed some antiques thrown in with our furniture, so my mom and I spent a weekend going through my grandmother's barn and attic scouring through old stuff.  My grandmother was even surprised at the things we found as she had no clue what she had stored.  Many things my grandfather had made by hand, so we decided we had to hold on to those items.



My favorite find...those two small, wooden picture frames.  Found out my dad made those years ago to give as Christmas gifts to family members back when he and my mom first got married.  (Those will not be for sale as they were my favorite find of the day)

It was such a COLD afternoon, but a very fun day spending it with my grandmother.  She had a blast and wanted me to stay a week just to help her actually clear out that entire barn!  I so wish I had a picture of her, packed into her winter coat, with her hood tied tight, at age 92 helping us clean out that barn.  And when I mean clean out, she was trying to actually sweep out all the old dirt and dust.  She then paid me with a hug and a honey bun.  I mean, who can complain about a day like that?

I also found a bunch of wood in my grandfather's garage and thought "Hey, I can try my hand at painting wooden signs!"

So, I tried a few!


Kind of a fun, but tedious new project.

And hey, if no one else likes them, my house will be covered in little homemade signs :)

As time draws closer, I will share more photos of what we will have available at the sale as we continue to collect over the next few weeks.

Looking forward to it all!





No comments:

Post a Comment